Sunday, November 14, 2010

Official documents

I received the updated Fulbright Handbook in late May and read through it again, paying particular attention to the section on visas and passports. We completed the paperwork for Delaney to get her first passport, and renewed Adam's existing passport. When we received these back in the mail, it was time to apply for Polish passports (only necessary if staying in the EU for more than 90 days). We had been told you could get them upon arrival in Poland, but it was much easier to do it before hand. I went to the consulate web page and read the detailed directions carefully. The official process involved an in-person interview at the consulate (located in Chicago), and... the visas could not be processed until 3 months before your date of arrival. Thus this was not something that I could do before October, and it might involve the whole family taking a weekend trip to Chicago...so much for advanced planning. I contacted the consulate and they said 'just send in the paper work'. I took this to mean that an interview would not be required. I submitted the paperwork early (Sept) and received a call from the consulate letting me know that it could not be processed until October. I said that I just wanted it in early just in case he needed more documentation. He laughed and said mine was the most complete application he had received in months! (*sigh of relief*) He will process them in October and then return them to us. -Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment