Monday, January 24, 2011

Delaney's first train ride

I took my first train ride today.  It was awesome!  Mom and I rode with a mom and two girls (9 and 12).  They shared their gummy bears and I shared my chocolate.  They rode all the way with us to Lublin.  We had 8 seats in our compartment.  We could close the door and the curtains if we wanted, but it was hot so we kept them open.  I stood in the passageway and walked up and down and took some pictures.  I also used the bathroom - it was a hole in the floor of the train - eww! - Delaney

Carolyn: We managed to get on the right train although I was worried about it.  The Warszawa Centralna train station is the most unusual one I've ever been in.  There is no central waiting area with a large status board of the incoming and outgoing trains.  There are only 4 platforms with 8 tracks and about 100 some newstand-type stores in long confusing corridors.   I gave our ticket to the ticket agent and asked her which track our train was on, she said platform 1.  We waited until 1 minute before the train was scheduled to arrive and it finally popped up on the local track sign.  We confirmed with a conductor and hopped on board.  By some miracle my humongous suitcase fit in the overhead bin.  I don't ever want to travel with a bag this big again (dragging it up to the 4th floor of our apartment was an even bigger pain!)

The ride was uneventful with just 4 stops between Warsaw and Lublin.  Snowy countryside was quite pretty (below).  The Lublin train station is recently restored and much more attractive than the Warsaw station.

No comments:

Post a Comment