Sunday, January 30, 2011

Polish / English

We were told that very few people in Lublin speak English and that seems to mostly be the case.  The exceptions have been the teachers we met at the kids' school, the University faculty, and a cashier at the Tesco grocery store.  My elementary Polish has sufficed for the grocery clerks, taxi driver, and bus ticket vendor.  I'm still reviewing Rosetta Stone lessons each day trying to absorb and hold on to more vocabulary, especially verbs (give, take, hold, sell, bring, go, turn, etc.)  It will be very interesting to see how fast the kids catch up once they are emersed in school.  Our landlord speaks the perfect amount of English to converse with me and help me develop my Polish.  He'll say about 5-10 words in English, then lapse into Polish for several sentences, then switch back to English again.  I catch some of what he's saying in Polish, then the English helps fill in the blanks that I missed.  -Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment