Sunday, March 13, 2011

Brain short-circuit!

Today I tried to short-circuit my brain by having a conversation in French with the mother of one of Delaney's classmates!  

Delaney was invited to a birthday party (pictures and details to follow) and I tagged along.  The parents sat around in the 'cafe' area with tea/coffee and cake while the kids exhausted themselves on the inflatibles and massive jungle gym. Nearly all of the conversation was in rapid Polish, although several parents spoke a little English and had short conversations with me.  One mother came up and asked me if I spoke French.  I said yes and the conversation continued in French.  It turns out that she is a high school German teacher.  The conversation we had was by far the most in depth that I had throughout the party and pretty enjoyable.  I was pleased that I was able to understand nearly all of what she said and make myself understood as well.  She asked if Delaney would like to come over to play at some point and I said that would be nice.  I believe she also extended an invitation to me to visit her classroom during their English studies (but I'm not quite sure I have the details right).  It was soooo weird trying to draw on Polish and French vocabulary to make myself understood.  After spending so much time trying to get my brain working in Polish, it was hard to switch gears to French!

No comments:

Post a Comment