Friday, March 4, 2011

Taxes

Its that time of year again when we start thinking about taxes (at least in the US, where the deadline for filing is April 15).  I decided not to try to tackle this hurdle from abroad and filed for an extension...but I still have the joy of paying taxes in Poland apparently.  The Fulbright money will be taxed as US income, but the stipend that my University is paying me gets taxed locally.  25% was taken out of my stipend to enroll me in the Polish health system and provide for my Polish retirement account.  I bit disappointing since I have health insurance through the Fulbright program (AND continuing coverage through my home university), and don't plan to retire in Poland...oh well.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to know you'll have options when you retire, though. ;)
    Laura Rainwater

    ReplyDelete