Sunday, May 1, 2011

Reflections from a day of traveling

Returned home from a conference in Manchester on Friday...

*  Travel alarm set for 4:00 am;  enthusiastic pub patrons woke me up at 3:00 am instead...the beginning of a long day.
*  Train ticket office closed @ 4:30 am;  ticket machines only takes 10 L notes;  all I have is a 20 L note.  Thanks to the random stranger who exchanged two 10's for a 20!
* Decided I needed some shortbread from the duty free shop...cost 4.80 L;  I had only 4.30 L in change and a 20 L note.  The checker just let it slide...nice.
*  Enjoyed watching the royal wedding at the bar in the Brussels airport with a ton of other travelers crowded around.  One British dad was cultivating a love of the monarchy in his 3 year old daughter..."Oh look at the Princess, isn't she beautiful?  This is such a special moment!"
*  Brussels Air gets an A+ in service.  After a weather delay made me miss my connection, they gave me a 17 euro meal voucher AND bumped me to business class which included a dinner as well!
* After flying business class to Warsaw, I got to sit on the floor of the bike compartment on the train to Lublin for 2 1/2 hrs because the train on which I had reserved seats had departed 3 hours earlier.  Joy.
*  Very glad to make it home in time to get a big hug from Delaney as she was going to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment