Monday, May 16, 2011

Umm..wow.

It seems a link to my blog has been posted to wykop.pl and many new people are following our adventures.  This was a bit of a surprise for me...hello all of Poland : )

I realize by looking at some of the comments that many of my postings have implicit comparisons that Americans who are reading this blog will understand, but that may not be obvious to non-Americans.  For example, by noting that not many Poles appear to have facial piercings, I'm contrasting this to the many Americans who do (even if I didn't say this directly).  This is true for many of my observations - like the 3:30 rush hour (it happens at 5:30 in the US), gas prices are only $3.00/ gal in the US compared to $6.80/gal (converted from pln/liter), etc.  Mostly just observations, not value judgements.

2 comments:

  1. uff just finished to read entire blog and... awaiting for more!
    Greeting from Świętokrzyskie Mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I red Your blog till 3 AM i didn't take any of Your observations as judgements, so relax. I know that You dont have spcial tax called "akcyza", You don't have "road tax" included in gas price, and You dont have 23% VAT tax (only sales tax).

    Some of Your boservatios were funny, like woman with ski sticks. This madness is called "nordic walking", it's orignating from scandinavia and it is thought as sports activity :).

    I knew that polish language is very hard to learn for forigners, but now I realize why. Word "brother", can be translated to polish as "brat" (base form), "bratu", "brata", "bracie", "bratem" dependend on context. "Brat" is base form. Allmost all of verbs have up to 14 forms. Your "brther" have only 2 ("brother", and "brothers"). Because of that google translate is making so many mistakes, that some of tetxts are just funny, while other unreadeble. Trying to learn polish - respect :)

    Rush hours are different in different cities. I believe that in warsaw they happends just like US.

    I read that You thought that most of poles have mustage or beard. But I don't know why? Is it commont stereotype about poles in US?

    ReplyDelete