Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A day of bureaucracy

I was taken through the maze of bureaucracy at the University today.  A colleague and I began the journey with a walk to the HR building.  1) Human Resources - collect 3 sheets of paper, one of which requires stamps from three different offices on campus.  They need a copy of my PhD diploma which is hanging on my wall in my office in Wichita.  I've asked a colleague to copy, scan and email it to me.  2)  Campus bank - open a bank account - easily done with only a passport.  No minimum or opening balance required.  Debit card provided.  Monthly fee $2.50. My stipend can now be deposited.  3) Campus health center - get health clearance.  Fortunately an exam and blood test were not required - they took my Fulbright certification.  Saw two different medical personnel with more papers and the first of the necessary rubber stamps for our HR paperwork.  4) Occupational health office - certify that I was aware of basic safety standards (don't put your finger in a light socket). I was supposed to read a large handbook in Polish to be signed off, but fortunately they skipped that requirement.  Second rubber stamp for the paperwork.  5)  Security Office for another stamp.  It was 2:45.  The sign on the door said their hours were till 3:15, but they were gone for the day.  No third stamp.  Note the empty space on the top line of the form (We'll try again tomorrow for this one)


6) Local Tax office - to receive a tax id number (required for payment) - but there are no taxes to be levied on people who are in their first job in Poland. My colleague's aunt works in the office and although it takes 3 wks to receive the number in the mail, she will look it up on the system tomorrow and inform my colleague.  Note that tax offices tend to look the same everywhere...windows and lines.

7) Returned to Department to finish filling out the original paperwork for HR. 4 hours work for the afternoon.  I'm sure glad I didn't have to try this alone, I would have never made it!  All the forms were in Polish! -Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment