Monday, February 14, 2011

Update from Delaney

I got to go to a special field day event yesterday for school.  I had a lot of fun! It was at a large sports complex, not my school.  Mom came with me to watch.  My gym teacher welcomed me and helped me understand the rules for each of the activities.  We did a lot of relay races, then did a mini soccer tournament.  Mom says they are really crazy about soccer here.  Even though I had never played soccer, I did good.  I kept in my position and got to kick the ball several times.  After the game, we did free kicks on the goal.  I got the ball past the goalie once and everyone cheered for me!  I made friends with the only other girl who was there.  Her name was Gabi.  We shared snacks and played on the same soccer team.  I came home with a medal! -Delaney





Additional Comment from Carolyn:  I was totally impressed with the parents and children I observed today.  Although Delaney and Gabi were the only girls, I observed no behaviors that were rude or unkind to them.  Their teammates accepted them without a problem and included them in celebrating when the team scored a goal.  When Delaney got a goal during free kicks, the father who was commentating looked straight ate me in the bleachers and gave me a big smile.  There is a passion for soccer, and  good sportsmanship is also clearly a component of learning to play.  The kids celebrated each others accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment