Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Prepping for classes

A number of friends have asked about University life here...I expect I'll add a lot more comments shortly.  My two classes begin Weds Feb 16. 

I've been finalizing my syllabi this week, trying to decide how I want to structure the classes.  The teaching style here is largely 'sage on stage' with a heavy emphasis on lecturing.  The students' grades are based on a comprehensive final and sometimes a paper.  My style is much more discussion based and includes a lot of role playing, so it may be quite a shock for the students.  I'm hoping they enjoy the different pedagogical approach.  It will do me good to have to explain why I do what I do in the classroom. -Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Actually, they will greatly appreciate the style change. Though some will be intimidated by it.

    ReplyDelete