Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Teaching polish!

Who would have thought I that I'd end up serving as a Polish tutor of sorts?  Today I started doing English/Polish lessons with Delaney and two of her classmates.  Delaney has been feeling pretty isolated at school because of the language barrier.  When her friends can't communicate, they just ignore her.  They aren't being mean, but they just can't find common ground to engage except in art, dance, and PE.  In addition, Delaney is resistant to trying to speak because she's afraid she'll make a mistake. (I fully understand this hesitation, but you just have to jump in and try).

In an effort to try to help Delaney learn more Polish and help her classmates get to know her better, her teacher agreed to let me meet with a few students and do some simple exercises with them in both English and Polish (limited though mine is).  Today each of the girls answered "Co lubisz jesc?" (What do you like to eat?) and "Co lubisz grac?" (What do you like to do?)  I thought it would be fun (and helpful) to create little notebooks for them that they could illustrate.  This is the page I created for them today...
Tomorrow I think we'll work on asking questions about family - do you have a brother? a sister? a cat? - Pani Carolina (Ms. Carolyn)

No comments:

Post a Comment