Monday, February 14, 2011


Feeling adventuresome, I grabbed this bottle off of the shelf having no idea what it was. After doing a bit of research, I still am not sure what it is. Here is what I do know:
It is sweet, most likely honey, hence the name "miodowe" meaning honey. The name "Maçkowe" does not translate to English, but it appears to be a root of the word "flower" (mᶏka). The bottom of the label (not pictured) translates as "Unique flavor and sweetness of the old recipes". From what I could find, it is from Browar Cornelious and they show a product called marcowe. Ratebeer.com states that this beer is a style of spice/herb/vegetable, a style that I have never heard of. Maybe someone can enlighten me. The Polish Wikipedia sight sates the following:

"Beer in March (Marzen de., Märzenbier, Oktoberfestbier) - a strong bottom-fermenting seasonal beer lager. Beer from Germany in March and there is the most popular.
Beer is produced in March in the first weeks of spring, mainly in March (hence its name) of the last stocks of stored, last year's malt. Then aged for the entire spring and summer until September. Since the nineteenth century in March is a traditional beer beer served at the Munich Oktoberfest (hence its popular name of the second Oktoberfestbier). In Poland in the interwar period to the esteemed beer was "The March" produced in Lviv".
I believe that the brewery started business in 1927 as a metallurgy trading company, eventually producing vinegar and soft drinks (hope they didn't mix them up). In 1938 they began bottling beer. From then on, it goes the usual route of being bought and sold numerous times to and by different companies. The bottle has the date "1921" on it, but I have no idea what it references to.
It was fun studying this brand's history, but I don't plan on buying it again as I don't care for sweet beers.

1 comment:

  1. Hello :) 'Maćkowe' has nothing to do with flour (mąka). I'd say it is an adjective or rather possesive pronoun formed from the name Maciej (diminutive - Maciek). Like Maciek's honey beer. But it sounds more like from Old Polish language.

    Student from UMCS :)

    ReplyDelete