Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Beer Blog update















I recently received a request to blog more beer. Who am I to refuse my elders (or in this case, Deacons). Having just returned from the beautiful Czech Republic after 4 days in Prague and touring the surrounding countryside, it is only fitting to talk about Czech lager.
The above photos are from our first night in Prague at a local restaurant (see blog on 4/2). Not knowing what "Prazdroj was (a name or a type), I decided on the .3l. Turns out that prazdroj means "Urquell", as in Pilsner, one of my favorite beers. Fresh on draft, what a great way to start out my visit to this wonderful city. Of course, an even better way was to have another.
In the photo, the two silver tanks behind me are tanks of beer. I asked for a long straw, but all I got was the mug.
A few days later, after touring the Sternberk Castle (see 4/4 post), we ate at the cafe in the castle. I had a Staropramen. I failed to snap a picture, but you can read about it on their website, www.staropramen.com/en/products. It was crisp, cold and delicious (aided, no doubt, by the beautiful, sunny spring day and the locale).
Last but certainly not least, no trip to the Czech Republic would be complete without sampling their best recognized name in beers for Americans (or should I say, mis-recognized), Budweiser. I am NOT talking about the stuff made by those Clydesdales but the brew made in České Budějovice known as Budweiser Budvar (budweiser-budvar.cz/en/index.html). Those who know me know my thoughts on the American stuff (rice is for Sake, not beer!) so there should be no surprise that this Budweiser I like! I had it on the train as we returned home, toasting our wonderful trip and promising to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment